This course is only open to participants who live or work in Missouri. The course is valued at $170 per person but is being offered to you at no cost by the Missouri Department of Mental Health.
This training gives you the skills you need to reach out and provide initial support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use challenge and help connect them to the appropriate care.
The course will teach you how to apply the ALGEE action plan:
- Assess for risk of suicide or harm
- Listen nonjudgmentally
- Give reassurance and information
- Encourage appropriate professional help
- Encourage self-help and other support strategies
The course requires advanced registration. Participants must register 2 weeks in advance (1 month is recommended).
- Participants must complete 2-hours of self-paced training at least 3 days prior to the course date.
- The 5.5-hour portion of the course is a small group-interactive training. Participants will join via Zoom and should be prepared to be present and actively engaged for the whole course. Participants will have 50 minutes for lunch plus two 15 minute breaks.
- Computer with microphone and speakers
- HD webcam
- Internet speed of at least 5 mbps. Test your internet speed at https://www.speedtest.net/
For additional classes, visit www.MHFAmissouri.org/events/